Friday, April 08, 2005

Art to Control Schizophrenia

I thought this story was very touching and wanted to share it with you all. Hope you have a great weekend.
-----------------
Artist hopes to help others who struggle
Painting fights mental illness
By ROCHELLE SQUIRES, STAFF REPORTER

During a dark and psychotic period in his life, Nigel Bart sought and found refuge in art. The 30-year-old Winnipegger was diagnosed with schizophrenia 11 years ago and struggled through many chaotic episodes before coming to terms with his illness.

"I was very afraid of what was happening to me. I couldn't concentrate and felt like I didn't have any control in my life," said Bart, who began feeling symptoms of the disease when he was 17 years old.

"I started experiencing bizarre things and would do bizarre things, so I isolated myself socially."

After a few years of periodic psychotic episodes, Bart hit rock-bottom.

"I just lost it mentally in a public library. I felt like I was trapped there," he said.

Bart was diagnosed with the illness after that episode and was put on medication to help control the symptoms of his disease.

"I slept for at least a month," he recalls. "I felt depressed and apathetic, which are side-effects of the medication. I was also left feeling vulnerable because I didn't fully understand what it meant to be a schizophrenic."

The young man, who was 19 at the time, said the illness seemed to take away his voice, his individuality and opinions. He felt he was no longer in control of his life.

Then he sought ways to manage his illness.

"When I was ill, I would do art in my mom's studio. It was low stress, gave me some structure to my day, and I was creating something that gave me a bit of self-esteem," said Bart.

He also discovered that art allowed him to make sense of the chaos in his mind and gave him control over his thoughts and feelings.

<> "There are just some things you can't say. What I learned was how to express my dark experiences and feelings through sculpture and painting," said Bart.

NEWLY-OPENED STUDIO

Bart went to art school at the University of Manitoba. Now the 30-year-old wants to help others by mentoring at the newly opened Artbeat Studio on Albert Street.

The 3,500-square-foot studio is for artists living with mental illness and provides a place where they can develop work and gain skills while being with others who experience similar illnesses.

<> "My life work is to provide hope to others," said Bart, who acts as an advocate for those with mental illness and is willing to share his story of encouragement. "I'm not afraid to talk about my illness and I'm here to say we're not violent and we shouldn't be the laughing stock of the community."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home